I have seen many of you give French fries too frequently
to your kids and along with them, you also have it. You
have it in theatre while watching movie, whenever you go to
have food at restaurant-you first order French fries just for time
pass till the main meal arrive. Now frozen fries are easily available so the
consumption of it has increased at home as well.
Common thing about French fries is that
you already know it that it is unhealthy food as they are high in calories &
However, you may not be aware that French fries contain a
chemical called acrylamide. This chemical is produced mainly in starchy
foods which are fried, baked, grilled or roasted at very high temperature.
High exposure to this chemical- ‘Acrylamide’ may increase the risk of-
- Male infertility
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Nerve damage
What can you do?
- Avoid storing potatoes in the refrigerator (ready to cook
Frozen fries) which can result in increased acrylamide
levels during cooking.
- Soak raw potato chips in water for 20 to 30 mins before
Frying which reduces acrylamide formation during cooking.
- Fry potatoes to a lighter colour which produces less acrylamide.
- Avoid food which are fried at high temperature for long time.
- Also, you need to limit the time of cooking.
- Steaming and boiling at low flame is best cooking method.
It is OK if your child is having fast food like French fries once in a while, but
don’t make it a routine.
That all for today,
See you next Tuesday with another Tuesday tip
Providing simple solutions for the complexities of life
Dr Bhumita Makwana
Your Dietitian & Homoeopathic Physician