Small children and busy mom, bachelors who stay
far from home, one who come late at night, when you are
hungry and want something instant. All these are
reasons for having instant snacks. As demand is increasing,
the availability of different ready to cook snacks are also
increasing in the market. Every time you go to supermarket,
you find new ready to cook snacks.
There are many ready to cook snacks available like:
- Instant bhel
- Instant noodles
- Instant pasta
- Instant oats meal and lot more.
The manufacturer markets these products to you with the claims of
- Heart Healthy
- Whole grain
What is the fact?
#1 higher salt content:
- They contain more salt than equal size of serving of homemade food.
- Increased salt intake is not good if you especially if
you have any heart or kidney problems
- So instead of heart healthy, they are actually not good for your heart.
#2 nutrition status:
- When “enriched with nutrients” is written, only a few
nutrients like vitamin B1, B2, B3, iron or calcium are
- However, other major nutrients like vitamin E, folic acid,
Protein, vitamin B6 & useful minerals like magnesium, zinc, selenium,
Copper etc. are lost during processing and they are not added back.
- To get more detailed information on “enriched food” click here &
Read our previous Tuesday tip.
#3 Artificial flavours:
- The worst part is, these foods contains artificial flavoring
Agents which are having many health hazards especially for your children.
- These added artificial flavour make the food tastier which leads
to more craving and you buy them again and again.
It is OK if you have these ready to cook snacks occasionally. But
to have them too frequently is not good for your health.
If home made food is available, then why to have
these ready to cook food?
It is never too late to begin healthy habits.
May 2021 bring health, wealth,& happiness in your life!
That’s all for today
See you next Tuesday
With another Tuesday tip
Till then….. Take care.
Providing simple solutions for the complexities of life.
Dr Bhumita Makwana
Your dietitian & homoeopathic physician.