Today we are going to start the series of
HOW TO PREVENT AND TREAT MONSOON DISEASES?
Last week we had experienced exceptionally heavy rain.
We hardly experience this kind of rain once in 10-15 years.
And I am sure, just like me,
You also felt blessed when
You got sunshine after continuous rain of 3-4 days.
The sun that gives us energy, also equally supports
growth of bacteria, viruses and mosquitoes.
This deadly combination of rain and sunshine leads to many monsoon diseases.
These monsoon diseases can be broadly divided into two groups…
1-Diseases that occurs due to contaminated water and food
2-Mosquito borne diseases
3 most common diseases that are caused due to contaminated water and diseases are–
3—HEPATITIS A (One type of jaundice ).
Today we will discuss CHOLERA….
Cholera is cause due to vibrio cholera
Symptoms of cholera are-
- Severe diarrhea,
- Muscle cramps,
- Nausea, and
- Dehydration .
Food or water contaminated by feces from a person with infection causes cholera.
Common sources includes :
- Contaminated municipal water supply
- Ice made from contaminated municipal water.
- Contaminated street food.
- Vegetables grown with water containing human wastes.
- Raw or uncooked seafood caught in water polluted with sewage and
- Low level of stomach acid as cholera bacteria cannot live in highly acidic environments.
If you have symptoms of cholera..
Contact your doctor
Doctor will confirm that you have cholera by identifying bacteria in a stool sample.
Treatment of cholera…
- Oral rehydration
- In severe cases doctor will give you intravenous rehydration
- In addition your doctor will prescribe you medicine as per requirement.
Don’t ignore if you have severe diarrhea.
It may be cholera and if not treated on time,
Severe dehydration may lead to many complication.
Consult your doctor immediately.
Remaining 2 most common diseases that are caused by WATER and FOOD contamination:
Will be discussed in next tip.
Till then take care.
Providing simple solutions
for the complexities of life….
Dr Bhumita Makwana
Your Dietitian & Cosmetic Clinician