This is one of the most common questions asked to me by
my patients. In the last two years we are facing this
pandemic and, everyone has realized the importance
of immunity. To maintain your immunity, it is very much
necessary to maintain your haemoglobin level. There
are many reasons for low level of haemoglobin. First of all, you need
to rule out the causes of that after consulting your doctor. As
it is very much important to treat the cause first and then
only you will able to maintain your haemoglobin level. Today
we will discuss which nutrients are important to raise
your haemoglobin levels:
Increase your iron intake-
- Iron plays important role in formation of your
- A protein called transferrin binds to iron & thus helps
your body to form red blood cells which contains haemoglobin.
Good vegetarian sources of iron are:
- Mint leaves – you can make mint leaves chatni
and can have everyday with your meals. You can also add
mint leaves to your green teas.
- Cauliflower leaves- generally you throw cauliflower
Leaves. But now onward don’t throw it as it is rich
in iron. You can add leaves to your
subjis, you can also make thepla out of these leaves.
- Sesame seeds – you can make ladoos or chikki out of
sesame seeds, you can also have two spoons of sesame
seeds raw or roasted every day
- Rajgira – rajgira flour can be added to your
roti flour, you can make sheera – a
sweet dish out of rajgira flour.
Folate (folic acid)
Increase your folate intake
- Folate is one of the B-group of vitamins
- It forms haem part of your haemoglobin
- Without folate, your red blood cells cannot mature.
Good natural vegetarian sources of folate are:
- Ladies finger
There are other nutrients like vitamin B 12, protein which
are also important for formation of red blood cells.
In addition, there are some foods that prevent iron absorption and some that help in
your iron absorption. We will discuss about them on next Tuesday.
Till then….. take care…..
Providing simple solutions for the complexities of life
Dr Bhumita Makwana
Your Dietitian & Homoeopathic physician.