Pregnancy is a wonderful experience, but it comes with its
own unique challenges like heartburn…
Why do you get heartburn during pregnancy?
- Increased level of oestrogen & progesterone during
your pregnancy relaxes the valve that keeps the acid
in your stomach.
- Also, your growing baby exerts upward pressure
on your stomach leading to heartburn.
While this can not be preventive 100%, some life style modification
can help you in heartburn and they are as follow-
- Have small, frequent meal
- Don’t eat stomach full at a time
- Never do over eating
- Avoid spicy & fatty foods
- Have your dinner at least 2 hours before bed
- While sleeping use pillow to keep your head raised.
- Never go empty stomach for long hours.
- Do regular exercise and pranayama.
Along with this life style modification, your food can help
you to get some relief.
Nutrients that helps you in heartburn during pregnancy are-
Magnesium helps to control the action of the
valve present between your stomach and esophagus.
Good natural vegetarian sources of magnesium are:
- Green leafy vegetables
Calcium is a very essential micro-nutrient to maintain proper
Good natural vegetarian sources of calcium are:
- Curry leaves
- Sesame seeds
Remember – food plays a very important part during pregnancy.
Your qualified dietitian can prescribe you a diet for pregnancy
that is both healthy & tasty. You are in-charge of
2 lives now…
That’s all for today,
See you next Tuesday,
With another Tuesday tip.
Providing simple solutions for the complexities of life
Dr Bhumita Makwana
Your Dietitian & Homoeopathic physician